How to Upload Your CD Information to Gracenote Using iTunes
iTunes makes it easy to add your CD information to the Gracenote database.
- Start iTunes. If you don’t have an iTunes account established, now is the time to do it. That way you have a valid email address in their system.
- Next, select the Edit/Preferences menu item, and in the General tab in the middle of the screen is the sentence: “On CD Insert” followed by a drop-down list. Choose “Show Songs” to prevent iTunes from turning all of your CD tracks into MP3 files.
- Put your CD in the drive. The tracks will show up in the main window as numbered tracks. Select them all.
- Under the File menu, select Get Info. This allows you to supply information that is common to all of the tracks, such as the artist, album title, cover art, etc.
- Once this is completed, click on the first track and “get info” again. Now you can fill in the song title, then click Next until all of the titles are filled in.
- Now it’s time to upload your information. On the Advanced menu, select Submit CD Track Names, fill out the remaining information, and click OK.
- Gracenote will send you an email confirming your submission.
Keep in mind this will upload artist/album/song information only (and a picture if you have a scanner handy).
Uploading Your CD information to Gracenote Using WinAmp
WinAmp is another free media player with a bundle of great features. When you insert a CD into your computer, it automatically goes to Gracenote to find information. If none is found, a wizard pops up where you can enter a boatload of information.
- On the Album tab, enter album title, artist, copyright date, genre, and notes (comments)
- On the Tracks tab, rename the tracks and fill in the copyright info, genre info, and notes a second time
- On the Credits tab, click the Add Credit button, and type in the name, the way you want it sorted, and the role. Automatically all of the titles are checked, but you can choose which ones the credit applies to.
- When everything is as you want it, click OK and the info will be sent to Gracenote.
- If you made a mistake, select a track, right click, and choose Edit CD Info (shortcut is Alt-3). On the MusicID tab, click on the Edit box and you’ll be back at the Gracenote form. Once you’ve completed the form, you’ll be back at the File Info screen. Click Submit and exit the form.
How to Upload Your CD Information to FreeDB.org using CDex
CDex is a free CD ripper. When you insert your CD into your computer you will see a screen with a lot of information not filled in.
- First, properly configure CDex by choosing the Options menu, then Settings (shortcut is F4).
- Click the Remote CDDB tab and fill in your email address.
- At the top, the remote server should be freedb by default.
- Click the “Submit Options” button to verify that you’re sending to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then click OK to save your settings.
- Now you’re back on the main screen. Fill in the artist, album title, copyright date and genre information.
- In the playlist, select the first track, then right click and select “Rename Track” (shortcut is F2)
- Hit Enter to complete the rename and you’ll be moved to the track below. Continue the process until all tracks are named.
- Now choose the CDDB menu and select “Submit to Remote CDDB“
- You’re done!